LOUTH, Ireland - The horrific knife attack in Dundalk, that left a 24-year-old Japanese man dead, is now being probed as a potential terror link.
In the incident, the 24-year-old man was stabbed in the back on Avenue Road at 9 am and died at the scene.
Further officials revealed that two other men were attacked on the Inner Relief Road and Seatown in Dundalk within an hour of each other.
They added that one of the victims received a knife wound, while the other was assaulted with a fence post.
Subsequently, both the men were hospitalized, although their injuries were not life-threatening.
Gardai have arrested an 18-year-old man, who is an Egyptian national and is believed to be the chief suspect.
On Wednesday morning, gardai said that they were investigating a potential terror link in the knife attacks
A report in the Irish Times stated that it is understood that the Egyptian national travelled to Ireland from the United Kingdom recently, and was encountered by Gardaí in Dundalk on January 1.
During the encounter with gardai, the man was asked about his status.
He was unable to produce the correct papers and was instructed to go to Dublin to apply for asylum.
The man was subsequently arrested on Wednesday morning and is currently being detained at the Dundalk Garda Station on suspicion of murder.
According to the detectives, none of the victims have had any prior contact with one another.
Further, a post-mortem on the deceased man is currently taking place in the Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda.
Detectives said that Gardai are not searching for any further suspects.
In addition, no motive has been officially established so far.
Addressing a press briefing on Wednesday, Chief Superintendent Christy Mangan said, "A terror attack is certainly a line of inquiry we are looking at. We will endeavour to establish the suspect's background, including who they are, where they have come from and why are they here.”