Wed, 28 Oct 2020

Notre Dame postpones Wake Forest game after more positive tests

Field Level Media
23 Sep 2020, 10:55 GMT+10

The scheduled Saturday game between No. 7 Notre Dame and Wake Forest was postponed Tuesday after seven more Fighting Irish players tested positive for COVID-19.

Notre Dame also announced it has paused all football-related activities until further testing is complete. Overall, 13 Irish players are in isolation.

"With student-athlete health and safety our primary focus, we will continue to follow our prevention protocols and ongoing testing procedures," Fighting Irish coach Brian Kelly said in a statement. "We managed an increase in positivity rates in August, and the players handled it wonderfully.

"We knew COVID would present challenges throughout the season, and we'll always put student-athlete health and safety at the forefront of our decision making. We look forward to resuming team activities and getting back on the playing field."

The postponement follows reports from earlier in the day that Notre Dame had canceled Tuesday's practice, having announced four positive tests Monday, and placing additional players in quarantine after contact tracing. None of those players competed Saturday in Notre Dame's 52-0 victory over South Florida, the school stated Monday.

Notre Dame officials said they were working with Wake Forest to make up the game. The teams share an open date on Oct. 3.

"I know everyone involved is saddened to be unable to play this weekend, but based on the circumstances it is the right decision," Wake Forest athletic director John Currie said in a statement. "We are already discussing options for rescheduling with the ACC and our future opponents, including the possibility of playing on the October 3rd weekend."

--Field Level Media

More Dublin News

Access More

Sign up for Dublin News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!