Sun, 26 Sep 2021

Irish government to decide on whether 100 can attend weddings

Robert Besser
27 Jul 2021, 18:36 GMT+10

DUBLIN, Ireland: Ireland's Cabinet is scheduled to discuss a proposal that would increase attendance at weddings from 50 to 100 people.

The announcement was made following a meeting of the three coalition party leaders on Monday.

Sources said the Government is hoping to make a decision, so couples could plan their weddings.

Also, those in the hospitality industry have called on the Government to make a decision about wedding guest numbers this week.

Couples are awaiting news as to whether additional guests will be allowed at weddings beginning August 5, as had been earlier anticipated.

However, last week, Tnaiste Leo Varadkar advised couples to make wedding plans for only 50 guests.

Also, there has been no decision as to whether the Government will allow use of the Digital Covid Cert system at weddings.

"We are asking the Government to bear in mind that most wedding guests have been vaccinated, while the weddings are being hosted in spacious ballrooms, many of which offer in excess of current social distancing requirements," said Irish Hotels Federation President, Elaina Fitzgerald Kane.

"Wedding couples, many of whom have rescheduled their wedding plans a number of times, find themselves less than two weeks before their wedding with their plans in jeopardy again."

Kane added, "Over the past few days, hotels and wedding venues across the country have been inundated with calls from wedding couples asking if they need to 'un-invite' 50 of their guests."

More Dublin News

Access More

Sign up for Dublin News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!