Provisional Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics for October to December 2021 have been published today by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).
This statistical report is updated quarterly and contains provisional information on key measurements of local authority collected (LAC) municipal waste for councils and waste management groups in Northern Ireland.
The key points are:
- Northern Ireland's councils collected 244,715 tonnes of waste during October to December 2021, a 4.4% decrease compared to October to December 2020.
- During October to December 2021, 47.7% of waste collected by councils was sent for recycling, similar to the recycling rate for October to December 2020.
- The landfill rate for waste collected by councils was 30.0% in October to December 2021, a fall from 75.4% in October to December 2006, but higher than the 23.3% recorded during October to December 2020.
- Just over a fifth (20.3%) of waste arisings were sent for energy recovery in October to December 2021, lower than the 26.4% reported in October to December 2020, but an increase from the 0.5% rate during the same quarter in 2009.
- Household waste accounted for 88.3% of all waste collected during this period.
- The recycling rate for household waste was 48.4%, similar to 48.0% in October to December 2020. The landfill rate for household waste was 29.2% in October to December 2021, an increase from 23.0% recorded during the same quarter of 2020.