Sat, 25 Mar 2023

Toddler in Skibbereen dies of grape stuck in windpipe

Khalid Umar Malik
29 Jan 2023, 19:24 GMT+10

CO CORK, Ireland - A Cork community has rallied around the bereaved family of a young boy who died after choking on a piece of fruit.

Joshua Odonkor, 2, died on Wednesday at his home in Skibbereen, prompting tributes.

Around 9 p.m., emergency services were called to the family's home in a housing estate, but the toddler died despite their best efforts.

Joshua was eating a grape when it became lodged in his windpipe.

The coroner was notified, and plans were made for a postmortem examination at Cork University Hospital. An inquest is scheduled for later this year.

The death is being treated as a "tragic accident," according to Gardai, who added, "Due to the tragic nature of the incident, no further information is available."

Joshua is survived by his parents, Philomena and Moses, and his brother, Emmanuel.

The loss has left a numb feeling throughout Cork and in Ghana, where his parents are from.

Independent councilor Karen Coakley, a former Mayor of Skibbereen, expressed "numbness" in the community.

"People are simply numb. It was a simple, simple accident. It's simply heartbreaking."

"You don't have to be a parent to feel this," she explained. We will do everything we can."

More Dublin News

Access More

Sign up for Dublin News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!