The Executive Office today published the 'Nation Brands Index: Regional Analysis for Northern Ireland 2016-2022'.
Building on 'The Anholt Ipsos Nation Brands Index: 2022 report for Northern Ireland', published in December 2022 and the 'Six Dimensions of the Nation Brands Index 2022', published in May 2023, this report presents findings on Northern Ireland's international reputation in each of six global regions, with a focus on 2022 but containing information for the whole time period since inclusion in the survey (2016-2022).
- In 2022, Northern Ireland was ranked 23rd out of 60 participating nations by both Western Europe and North America. Middle East & Africa was the only region to rank Northern Ireland in the bottom half of the 60 nations (40th).
- Conversely, Northern Ireland received its highest regional score from Middle East & Africa (64.32 out of 100), while the lowest was received from Western Europe (59.11).
- Western Europe, North America and Asia-Pacific have ranked Northern Ireland in the top half of nations every year since 2016, while Middle East & Africa is the only region to have ranked Northern Ireland in the bottom half of nations each year.
- In 2022, four of the six regions (Latin America, Western Europe, Central & Eastern Europe and Asia-Pacific) placed Governance as Northern Ireland's highest-ranking dimension. Governance has been either the highest or second-highest ranking Dimension each year from all six regions.
- Meanwhile, Culture was ranked lowest (or joint-lowest) by five regions (North America, Latin America, Western Europe, Middle East & Africa and Asia-Pacific) in 2022. Culture has been the lowest ranking Dimension each year from at least four of the six regions.
- In 2022, Tourism was Northern Ireland's highest scoring dimension from all regions, except Western Europe who scored Northern Ireland highest for People (65.55). All six regions scored Northern Ireland lowest for Immigration & Investment.
About the Anholt Ipsos Nation Brands Index 2022
The NBI is an annual global survey which evaluates the international image and reputation of 60 nations across six dimensions of national competence: Exports; Governance; Culture; People; Tourism; and Immigration & Investment.
The 2022 NBI involved the completion of over 60,000 online surveys, in 20 panel countries, with at least 3,000 people surveyed per panel country.
The report and associated data tables are available on the Statistics and Research section of The Executive Website: Nation Brands Index Regional Analysis for Northern Ireland 2016-2022.
Share this page